Diabetes Prevention Program
An estimated 79 million American adults ages 20 and over have prediabetes and many of them do not know it! The good news is that studies have shown that some people with prediabetes who lose weight and increase their physical activity can prevent or delay type 2 diabetes and even see their blood glucose levels return to normal.
The YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program is part of the CDC-led National Diabetes Prevention Program, which proves that through healthier eating, increased physical activity, and a small amount of weight loss, a person with pre-diabetes can prevent or delay the onset of Type 2 Diabetes by 58%.
In a classroom setting, a trained lifestyle coach will help you change your lifestyle by learning about healthy eating, physical activity and other behavior changes over the course of 16 one-hour sessions. Topics covered include nutrition, getting started with physical activity, overcoming stress, staying motivated, and more. After the initial 16 core sessions, you will meet monthly for up to a year for help with maintaining your progress.
Program Goals: Reduce body weight by 7 % and increase physical activity to 150 minutes per week.
NEXT SESSION DATES
- Littleton YMCA, 11 W. Dry Creek Ct. 80120, Mondays, 10:30am starting June 9
- Southshore Lakehouse, 27151 E Lakeview Dr., 80016, Tuesdays 6:30pm starting June 17
- Littleton YMCA, 11 W. Dry Creek Ct. 80120, Tuesdays, 6:15pm starting June 10th
- Highland Sport and Spine, 3801 Osage St, 80211, Thursdays 6:15pm starting June 12th
- Southwest YMCA 5181 W. Kenyon Ave, 80236, Mondays 6:15 starting June 16th