Understand your risk for prediabetes and type 2 diabetes and prevention
An estimated 79 million American adults ages 20 and over have prediabetes and many of them do not know it! The good news is that studies have shown that some people with prediabetes who lose weight and increase their physical activity can prevent or delay type 2 diabetes and even see their blood glucose levels return to normal.
The YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program is part of the CDC-led National Diabetes Prevention Program, which proves that through healthier eating, increased physical activity, and a small amount of weight loss, a person with pre-diabetes can prevent or delay the onset of Type 2 Diabetes by 58%.
In a classroom setting, a trained lifestyle coach will help you change your lifestyle by learning about healthy eating, physical activity and other behavior changes over the course of 16 one-hour sessions. Topics covered include nutrition, getting started with physical activity, overcoming stress, staying motivated, and more. After the initial 16 core sessions, you will meet monthly for up to a year for help with maintaining your progress.
Program Goals: Reduce body weight by 7 % and increase physical activity to 150 minutes per week.
In order to qualify for the YMCA Diabetes Prevention Program, participants must be at least 18 years old, overweight (BMI of 25 or higher) and at high risk of developing type 2 diabetes or have been diagnosed with prediabetes. Click here to see if you are at risk of developing diabetes.
PRE-Registration is required. To find a class near you, or to learn if your health insurance will cover the cost of the program, please contact Monica Thompson at 720 524 2747 or email@example.com
Our next classes begin soon:
- Duncan (Arvada) YMCA, Wednesdays at noon, starts January 28. Duncan YMCA is located in Arvada, 6350 Eldridge St, Arvada, CO 80004
- Aurora Strong, Tuesdays, 5:30 p.m., starts March 1. Aurora Strong is located in Aurora, 1298 Peoria St., Aurora, CO. 80010
- Parker Senior Center, Thursdays at noon, starts January 13. Parker Senior Center is located in Parker, 10675 Longs Way, Parker, CO, 80138
- Schlessman YMCA , Wednesdays, 5:30 pm, starts January 26. Schlessman YMCA class will be at the YMCA complex 2625 S. Colorado Blvd., Denver, CO., 80222
- Schlessman YMCA , Mondays, 11 a.m., starts January 25. Schlessman YMCA class will be at the YMCA complex 2625 S. Colorado Blvd., Denver, CO., 80222
FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE IS AVAILABLE along with payment plans!