November is National Diabetes Awareness Month and the Denver YMCA is encouraging people in the metro area to understand their risks for prediabetes and type 2 diabetes and take steps to prevent the disease through programs like the YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program.
An estimated 79 million American adults ages 20 and over have prediabetes and many of them do not know it! The good news is that studies have shown that some people with prediabetes who lose weight and increase their physical activity can prevent or delay type 2 diabetes and even see their blood glucose levels return to normal.
The YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program is part of the CDC-led National Diabetes Prevention Program, which proves that through healthier eating, increased physical activity, and a small amount of weight loss, a person with pre-diabetes can prevent or delay the onset of Type 2 Diabetes by 58%.
In a classroom setting, a trained lifestyle coach will help you change your lifestyle by learning about healthy eating, physical activity and other behavior changes over the course of 16 one-hour sessions. Topics covered include nutrition, getting started with physical activity, overcoming stress, staying motivated, and more. After the initial 16 core sessions, you will meet monthly for up to a year for help with maintaining your progress.
Program Goals: Reduce body weight by 7 % and increase physical activity to 150 minutes per week.
In order to qualify for the YMCA Diabetes Prevention Program, participants must be at least 18 years old, overweight (BMI of 25 or higher) and at high risk of developing type 2 diabetes or have been diagnosed with prediabetes. Click here to see if you are at risk of developing diabetes.
To find a class near you, or to learn if you health insurance will cover the cost of the program, please contact Monica Thompson at 720 524 2747 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Our next classes begin soon:
- Duncan YMCA, Mondays 6pm, starts November 9th. Duncan YMCA is located in Arvada, 6350 Eldridge St, Arvada, CO 80004
- Aurora Strong, Tuesdays, 11am, starts November 10th. Aurora Strong is located in Aurora, 1298 Peoria St., Aurora, CO. 80010
- Parker Senior Center, Wednesdays, 12pm, starts November 11th. Parker Senior Center is located in Parker, 10675 Longs Way, Parker, CO, 80138
- YMCA Community Programs Branch, Mondays 4pm, starts November 16th. YMCA community programs Branch is located in Manual High School, 1700 E. 28th Ave. Denver, CO. 80205
- Schlessman YMCA , Mondays, 11am, starts November 30th. Schlessman YMCA class will be at the YMCA complex 2625 S. Colorado Blvd., Denver, CO., 80222
FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE IS AVAILABLE along with payment plans!