Mind, Exercise, Nutrition, Do It!
For children ages 7-13 who are above their healthy weight and their parents
Why join the MEND Program?
- Make new friends
- Feel more confident and boost self-esteem
- Get in shape playing fun games
- Set goals to reach and maintain a healthy weight
- Learn how to cook tasty and healthy meals
- Turn conflict around food into family fun
- It is a free program!
The MEND 7-13 Program is a cutting-edge, evidence based healthy lifestyle Program for overweight children and their parents. Rather than focusing on weight loss, the Program uses a practical, interactive learning approach to teach children and parents weight management skills. This includes inspiring families to adopt a healthier lifestyle and enjoy preparing and eating healthy foods as well as reading food labels and healthy shopping on a budget. There are also simple but exciting sessions, which focus on making exercise fun again – especially for children who are not fans of traditional school physical education.
The YMCA of Metropolitan Denver is working in partnership with the MEND organization to run the program. Families take part in fun 2-hour sessions which meet twice a week for 10 weeks. The Program helps them improve their eating and exercise habits, thereby improving children’s fitness, physical activity levels, nutrition and self-esteem. The program is funded through The Colorado Health Foundation and Kaiser Permanente.
NEXT SESSION DATES AND LOCATIONS
- Southwest Family YMCA, 5181 W. Kenyon Ave., , starting January 25- Sunday, 1-3pm and Tuesdays 6:30-8:15pm
- Community Programs Branch, 1700 E. 28th Ave. , starting January 26th -Monday and Wednesdays, 6:15-8:15pm,
- Westminster Swim and Fitness Center, 3290 W 76th Ave, Westminster, CO 80030; starting January 27th -Tuesdays and Thursdays, 6:18:15pm
For more information about the program or to get enrolled in an upcoming session, please contact Monica Thompson at 720 524 2747 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Also visit www.mendfoundation.org