Colorado Teens: Speak Up and Stand Out
Join Youth in Government
The Denver YMCA’s Youth in Government Program gives students first-hand knowledge of how government works.
For three months every year, students learn about the state’s democratic system, and how laws and government shape people’s lives. They explore all major aspects of state government, filling roles as politicians, lobbyists, attorneys, and journalists.
Then they convene for a mock General Session at the State Capitol where they write bills, lobby, debate, and vote, all using the real House Floor, Senate Chambers, and committee rooms in the state capitol. This is the only program of its kind that offers this type of experience and access to Colorado’s legislative offices.
Registration for 2017 Legislative session will open August 2017
General Assembly: November 20-22, 2017
See section "For Students" for info on Bill writing and running for office.
Other Important dates
- Early Bird Registration Deadline ($75): September 29
- Registration Deadline ($85): October 29
- Late Registration Deadline ($120): November 3 by 5:00pm
- Final bills due: November 5, 11:59pm (Bills submitted after the deadline will not be added to the bill book)
- Officer and Committee Chair Training:
- Youth Officers' Reception: TBD - Typically in early November, this event is an opportunity for our elected officers to meet donors and board members as well as other special guests. Invite only, RSVP required.
- Pre-Legislative Session: November 19, 2017 - Location: TBD This is highly encouraged for new delegates as well as those returning. Youth do not need to be staying in the hotel to join the Pre-leg session, but it is also encouraged for participants to stay near the Capitol.
- Governor's Ball: November 21, Enjoy great food, hear your candidate speeches and dance with new friends! You will not want to miss this one! RSVP required: Dinner is included. Officer Candidates are required to attend.
- Early registration: $75 per student
- Registration: $85 per student
- Late registration: $120
- Hotel fee (per person): $50; Information on the YMCA hotel block will be updated as we finalize details. Schools should seriously consider bringing their group to stay. Your experience will be upgraded 100% Scholarships for hotels are also available.
YMCA membership not required. Scholarships are available for schools and students who qualify. Students must be in 7th through 12th grade.
Learn more here:
Rachel Sloan, State Director of YIG
Call 720 810 7275