Colorado Teens: Speak Up and Stand Out
Join Youth in Government
The Denver YMCA’s Youth in Government Program gives students first-hand knowledge of how government works.
For three months every year, students learn about the state’s democratic system, and how laws and government shape people’s lives. They explore all major aspects of state government, filling roles as politicians, lobbyists, attorneys, and journalists.
Then they convene for a mock General Session at the State Capitol where they write bills, lobby, debate, and vote, all using the real House Floor, Senate Chambers, and committee rooms in the state capitol. This is the only program of its kind that offers this type of experience and access to Colorado’s legislative offices.
Registration for 2016 is CLOSED
General Assembly: November 21-23, 2016
See section "For Students" for info on Bill writing and running for office.
Other Important dates
- Early Bird Registration Deadline ($75): September 30
- Registration Deadline ($85): October 28
- Late Registration Deadline ($120): November 4
- Final bills due: November 6, 11:59pm (Bills submitted after the deadline will not be added to the bill book)
- Youth Officers' Reception: November 10, 2016, Governor's Mansion, Main House. RSVP required
- Pre-Legislative Session: November 20, 2016 Hampton Inn & Suites - This is highly encouraged for new delegates as well as those returning. Youth do not need to be staying in the hotel to join the Pre-leg session, but it is also encouraged for participants to stay near the Capitol.
- Governor's Ball: November 22, University Club of Denver, RSVP required: Dinner is included. Officer Candidates are required to attend. Attendance is highly recommended.
- Early registration: $75 per student
- Registration: $85 per student
- Late registration: $120
- Hotel fee (per person): $50; The YMCA has secured a hotel block and will work with each delegation to set up rooms for their delegates. The cost will include complimentary breakfast and a stay in the hotel for 3 nights: Sunday, 11/20 - Wednesday 11/23.
YMCA membership not required. Scholarships are available for schools and students who qualify. Students must be in 7th through 12th grade.
Learn more here:
Rachel Sloan, State Director of YIG
Call 720 810 7275