Stretch. Breath. Focus. Yoga.
Try yoga at the Y
Millions of people do yoga because they love what it does for the spirit, mind, and body.
An exercise discipline that dates back to ancient India, yoga involves moving the body through a series of positions and stretches, while focusing on breathing or specific thoughts. The practice delivers unique and vital benefits:
- Increased energy levels
- Lower blood pressure
- Greater muscle tone and strength
- Sense of calm
- Improved learning and memory
- Less stress
- Better balance
More benefits of yoga
Controlled breathing. Yoga teaches you to control your breathing, which can help you quiet your mind and control your body.
Strength and alignment. Yoga movements work and flex specific muscles, while stretching their opposing muscle groups. This helps you avoid muscular imbalance, and it improves alignment and posture.
Greater recovery. Yoga can often decrease the time needed to recover from injuries, and it can help in the treatment of medical conditions. Yoga promotes a full range of motion, strengthens muscles, and increases blood flow.
Why at the Y?
As an organization focused on the wellness of spirit, mind, and body, the Y offers a variety of one-hour yoga classes that are free for members, including:
- Gentle Yoga - Teaches breathe awareness and relaxation techniques while increasing strength, flexibility, and balance, and improving mental health through static stretching
- Hatha Yoga - Teaches the traditional Hatha style yoga where poses "flow" together with an emphasis on alignment and posture
- Mindful Yoga - Suitable for beginners to intermediates, this class draws on classic yoga postures, breathing practices, and meditative themes that nurture balance, strength, and the union of spirit, mind, and body
- Vinyasa Yoga - Also called Vinyasa Flow or Flow Yoga, this is a movement that is synchronized to the breath. It is a series of poses that will move you through inhaling and exhaling smoothly. This style allows for a lot of variety, but will almost certainly include Sun Salutations (a series of 12 postures performed in a single, graceful flow) with mindful alignment. Like all styles of yoga, Vinyasa has both mental and physical benefits and it's great for everyone. It will continue to challenge you!
- Iyengar Yoga - Emphasizes precision and alignment in doing yogasanas (yoga poses). It can be done by people of any age and almost any physical condition. Props such as blocks, mats, belts and blankets are used in this class.
- Yoga Flow - Incorporates a smooth, dance-like flow of movement between poses as you inhale and exhale
- Yoga sculpt - Combines poses and movements with the use of weights for added toning and strength building
Plus, yoga at the Y features:
- Instruction for all experience and skill levels, from beginners to athletes
- Many classes ideal for active seniors
- Certified teachers who will help you progress at your own pace
- Convenient morning, noon, and evening classes