Denver YMCA Helps Youth Experience Their Best Summers Ever
Programming keeps kids moving, exploring and learning
Do you remember your best summer ever? Did you stay all day with your friends at the local pool? Did you head to the local park and play basketball? Or was your best summer the summer you discovered your favorite literary heroes and followed their adventures from the comfort of your own backyard? For most, your best summer ever was probably a combination of all of these—some exploration, activity and education.
Summer is the ideal time to get children out and exploring but for some, the end of the school year means no access to recreational and educational activities which help them learn, grow and thrive. Studies show that children can experience learning loss and even gain weight twice as fast than during the school year. For parents and caregivers looking to keep their children’s minds and bodies active, the YMCA of Metro Denver is offering summer camp to give youth an adventurous, active and healthy summer.
YMCA camp programs provide a fun and unique experience that gives children and teens the opportunity to explore the outdoors, meet new friends, discover new interests and create memories that last a lifetime. The YMCA of Metro Denver offers:
- Day Camp: For ages: 5-12. Our day campers participate in age-appropriate activities, including enrichment, physical fitness and field trips.
- Adventure Camp: For ages: 9-12 centered around environmental education and experiences.
- Teen Camp: For ages: 12-14
- Leaders in Training: For ages 11-14, it's a program for youth who want to give back to their community and learn how lead others.
- Part-Time Day Camp: The Y offers 2 or 3 day part-time day camp options at various locations.
- Overnight Camps: Although the YMCA of Metropolitan Denver does not operate an overnight camp, our sister Ys in Colorado do. These overnight camps offer the camp experience of fun, independence and accomplishment.
Summer camp provides a variety of opportunities to ensure that youth are learning and being physically active in the summer,” says Kim Schulz, Executive Director of Day Camp. “Campers learn how to be responsible and resourceful, work in groups, solve problems and make decisions that will help them grow as individuals—all while having fun and feeling like they belong. We want every camper to start school telling their friends that they had the best summer ever.”
Schulz says there are five reasons why children and teens should attend summer camp:
- ADVENTURE: Summer camp is all about a wide variety of new experiences and exploring the outdoors. YMCA camps have a new adventure for every child and teen. Visit www.denverymca.org/camps for details.
- HEALTHY FUN: Day and resident camps offer fun, stimulating activities that engage the body and mind, and also help children and teens learn the importance of nutrition to help improve their healthy eating habits.
- PERSONAL GROWTH: While in the welcoming environment of camp, youth are encouraged to learn new skills, and develop confidence and independence by taking on new responsibilities and challenges. Camps offer cognitive learning and social-emotional development opportunities for achievement.
- FRIENDSHIPS: Amidst the fun of camp games, songs, swimming, canoeing and talent shows, campers meet new friends and strengthen existing friendships. The bonds formed at camp are important and lasting for many youth.
- MEMORIES: Summer camp is an unforgettable experience that will give each camper memories (and camp traditions) that will last a lifetime. Youth return to school with plenty of camp stories to share!
A leading nonprofit committed to nurturing the potential of youth, the Y has been a leader in providing summer camp for over 130 years. The YMCA of Metro Denver continues to give youth an enriching, safe experience with caring staff and volunteers who model positive values that help build their kids’ character.
Registration for the upcoming camp season is open.
For more information, visit www.DenverYMCA.org/camps or at 720 524 2792.