fbpx Healthy Holiday Tips | Denver YMCA


While our YMCAs are closed to the public, we are responding to the urgent needs in our community by providing Child Care for families of first responders & other essential workers + distributing food. Also, find more info on Y membership & programs.

Healthy Holiday Tips

Healthy Holiday Habits at the Y!

It’s that time of year! The holidays are here, and with them come parties, house guests, shopping, traveling, and a lot of delicious food.

With all these distractions, it can be tempting to pause your healthy routine and resolve to “start again” in the New Year. But slipping now can make it more difficult to get back on track later.

Instead, stay committed to healthy living by sticking with your goals this holiday season.

This doesn’t mean you can’t indulge and enjoy – just keep these tips in mind for a healthier holiday.

  • Create a modified fitness schedule. On Sunday evenings, look at your schedule for the week and decide when you can fit in your workouts. Make your workouts a priority, and stick to your plan. Exercise will help you manage holiday stress and keep your energy up.  

  • Use the 80/20 diet rule. Set yourself up for success with realistic expectations. Maintain a healthy eating plan 80% of the week and give yourself some extra freedom the other 20% of the time for holiday parties and events. As you do indulge, remember to practice mindful eating. You can also opt for healthier versions of your favorite recipes.

  • Find a buddy. Find a friend who has similar goals this holiday season and keep each other on track. For extra support, take advantage of the personal trainers and nutrition team at the YMCA who are more than happy to offer assistance.

  • Remember to rest. Sleep is important for weight maintenance, energy, and overall health. During the holiday hustle and bustle, make sure you schedule some downtime and try to get seven to eight hours of sleep a night.

  • Record your fitness, food, and weight. Just writing these things down can help keep you more accountable. If weight maintenance is a concern, weigh yourself once a week and adjust your diet accordingly. The MyFitnessPal application is a great monitoring tool to keep you on track.

As you follow these tips, make sure to enjoy yourself this holiday season. Stay committed to healthy living, but focus too on your time with family, friends, and your YMCA community. Celebrate not just the sweets and treats of the season, but your time together, special traditions, and great memories.

Wishing you a happy and healthy holiday season,

Your  friends at the YMCA

Nutrition expertise at the YMCA
 Casey Spence and Pamela Cook, RDN, are helping members at the Littleton Family YMCA live healthy. The two dietary professionals are here to provide nutrition counseling, lead classes in healthy cooking and meal planning, and share helpful nutrition tips that can improve your overall health. If you’re struggling to meet your fitness goals, or you just want to start eating better, learn more about the Y’s nutrition programs, and look for regular YMCA emails on Food for Spirit, Mind, & Body.