Stand Up. Speak Out. Youth in Government.
Youth in Government is a three-month leadership program that lets you get involved and get ahead with:
- Real-life experience as a legislator, lobbyist, judge, or journalist
- Inside access to the Colorado State Capitol, using the House and Senate floors, chambers, and hearing rooms
- Improved skills in public speaking, writing, law, and debate
- An opportunity to show initiative and leadership that the future will require -- and colleges will look for!
This program is ideal if you’re interested in:
- Any field that requires critical thinking and presentation skills including sales, marketing, engineering, technology, and more
How it works:
General Assembly is in November. Schools will typically create a club to help prepare students for the General Assembly. Resources are available for teachers on our website or through our State Director. Individual students may still participate, but it is important to have a teacher or advisor to support that student along the way. Pre-legislative session will take place November 20th before GA. Pre-Legislative session is meant to bring students together to discuss bills, prepare arguments, brush up on Parliamentary Procedure, and learn more about their roles.
- Pages (Recommended for middle school and some first year participants): Be part of the legislative action. Submit and debate bills and transfer communications. Pages will be responsible for transporting printed documents throughout the Capitol and even across the street to our Downtown YMCA.
- Lobbyists: Use communication and creativity to persuade legislators to pass or fail bills based on the interests of groups or companies you represent. Lobbyists will be assigned bills to support using printed material to communicate with legislators, they are able to speak in committee, however, not on the House or Senate floor..
- Journalists: Get a front-row seat to the legislative debate and write, edit, and print a daily General Assembly newspaper about the real issues being discussed.
- Representatives and Senators: Use skills in parliamentary procedure and public speaking and create, debate, and amend bills.
- Supreme Court Justice & Attorneys: Participate in a moot court case and present oral arguments and decision papers. Apply Judicial Review to the bills submitted in the General Assembly.
Run for Office:
During each three-day General Assembly, sophomores and juniors can write speeches and create campaign materials to run for these leadership positions for the following year.
- Youth Governor
- Speaker of the House
- President of the Senate
- Attorney General
- Chief Justice
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR PARTICIPANTS
Delegates: Once you have registered, you can begin writing your bill!! More information will be available soon.
Please submit your bill in WORD FORMAT to Amy Louvier
Appointed positions are also available for the 2017 Session, see Running for Office in our "Downloadable Resources" below for descriptions.
2017 Youth Officers:
- Governor: Isaac Sloan
- Lt. Governor: Aaron Lombardi
- Speaker of The House: Aaron Moss
- President of The Senate:
Highlights of the three-day General Session
- Guest speakers
- House and Senate Sessions
- Committee Meetings
- Youth Officer Election
- Governor’s Ball
Why Do It?
There are so many reasons to become one of the 150 students throughout Colorado who join this program every year. Here’s why:
- It’s a program of the YMCA – so you know it’s here for good
- It builds skills that are important in school, for getting into and excelling in college, and ultimately establishing a career
- You meet a lot of new people and you could qualify to travel to national conventions
- You learn a ton
Start a club at your school! With support from a civics, social studies, government, or speech and debate advisor, you can bring a delegation in 2016. Please have your advisor or club leader contact the state office for more information and use our website for helpful resources. You may also contact your local YMCA to see if they will support your YIG club.
Like us on facebook for important announcements.
For more info:
Colorado YMCA Youth in Government
Attn: Amy Louvier
27151 East Lakeview Drive
Aurora, CO 80016
Phone: 720 810 2221