Empowering Families to Live Healthier
Healthy Weight and Your Child empowers 7-13-year-olds, with the support of their families, to grow into a healthy weight and to live a healthier lifestyle. Through the leadership of Y staff, the 4 month, evidence-based program engages a child and adult as a pair, so together they can understand how the home environment and other factors influence the choices that lead to a healthy weight. The program emphasizes behavior changes to support healthy eating and physical activity.
Families will work with trained leaders and learn about topics, including:
- Healthy eating
- Physical activity
- Portion control
- Internal and external triggers
- Food label reading
- Goal setting and rewards
To Qualify for participation in this program:
In order to qualify for participation in the Healthy Weight and Your Child Program, your child must:
- be 7-13 years old
- carry excess weight, with a body mass index (BMI) of the 95th percentile or higher
- receive clearance from a healthcare provider or school nurse to participate in physical activity
- 1 Adult MUST attend all sessions with child
Why the Whole Family?
Evidence shows that child weight-management programs are more effective when the whole family is involved and committed to adopting healthier habits. For this reason, the program is designed so that parent/caregiver attendance is required at all sessions.
Class Locations coming in February:
- Spanish class at Crawford Elementary (1600 Florence St, Aurora, CO 80010) on Mondays and Wednesdays from 5 - 7 pm.
- Spanis class at Wyatt Academy (3620 Franklin St, Denver, CO 80205) on Tuesdays and Thursday from 6 - 8 pm.
- Bilingual class at Southwest Family YMCA (5181 W. Kenyon Ave., Denver, CO 80236), Sundays and Tuesdays.
Program Fee: $40 per month ($160 total for four months), per family. Scholarships are available for families to apply.
To register or find out more information, please contact Libertad Mendivil at 720 440 4364