Prevent Diabetes with the YMCA
More than 84 million adults in the US have prediabetes - that’s 1 out of every 3 Americans!
Yet, 9 out of 10 people don't even know they have it.
The YMCA can help.
The YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program is part of the CDC-led National Diabetes Prevention Program, which has proven that through healthier eating, increased physical activity, and a small amount of weight loss, it’s possible to prevent or delay the onset of Type 2 Diabetes by 58-71%.
Through this Y program, participants meet regularly with a certified lifestyle coach to learn about:
- Physical activity
- Overcoming stress
- Staying motivated
Together, they get the resources and support they need to meet program goals:
- Decrease body weight by 7%
- Increase physical activity to 150 minutes per week
- Improve wellness and reduce diabetes risk
Take action now to transform your health
The YMCA's Diabetes Prevention Program is offered year-round in seven counties in Metro Denver, including the five YMCA Wellness Centers and over 20 community sites.
The program consists of 16 weekly one-hour classroom sessions with monthly follow-up sessions for the remainder of the year.
To qualify, you must be 18 years of age or older and have a:
- Prediabetic blood value
- Diagnosis of prediabetes or
- High score on a CDC diabetes risk assessment
PRE-Registration is required. The YMCA's Diabetes Prevention Program is offered year-round in 7 counties in the Metro Denver Area, including our 5 local YMCA's, over 20 community sItes and other worksites.
FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE IS AVAILABLE along with payment plans!
We provide our program in 7 Counties in the Metro Denver Area, including the 5 local YMCA’s, Worksites, and over 20 Community Sites.
- Metro Caring (1100 E 18th Ave, Denver, CO 80218): Mondays from 11:00 am to 12:00 pm starting in February
- Crossroads Church (53 E 128th Ave, Thornton, CO 80241): Thursdays from 6 to 7 pm starting late January
- St. Andrews Presbyterian Church (3096 S Sheridan Blvd, Denver, CO 80227): Mondays from 10:30 am to 11:30 pm starting January 27th
- Johnson Elementary (1850 S Irving Street, Denver, CO 80219): Tuesdays from 5:30-6:30 pm *Classes will be offered in English and Spanish*
- Duncan YMCA (6350 Eldridge St, Arvada, CO 80004): Tuesdays from 11:30 am to 12:30 pm and from 6:30 to 7:30 pm starting in February
- Schlessman YMCA (3901 E Yale Ave, Denver, CO 80210): Tuesdays from 11:00 am to 12:00 pm starting late February
- Littleton YMCA (11 W Dry Creek Ct, Littleton, CO 80120): Wednesdays from 6:00 to 7:00 pm starting in March
- Downtown YMCA (25 E 16th Ave B, Denver, CO 80202): Dates and times coming soon!