Prevent Diabetes with the YMCA
More than 84 million adults in the US have prediabetes -- that’s 1 out of every 3 Americans!
Yet, 9 out of 10 people don't even know they have it.
The YMCA can help.
The YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program is part of the CDC-led National Diabetes Prevention Program, which has proven that through healthier eating, increased physical activity, and a small amount of weight loss, it’s possible to prevent or delay the onset of Type 2 Diabetes by 58-71%.
Through this Y program, participants meet regularly with a certified lifestyle coach to learn about:
- Physical activity
- Overcoming stress
- Staying motivated
Together, they get the resources and support they need to meet program goals:
- Decrease body weight by 7%
- Increase physical activity to 150 minutes per week
- Improve wellness and reduce diabetes risk
Take action now to transform your health
The YMCA's Diabetes Prevention Program is offered year-round in seven counties in Metro Denver, including the five YMCA Wellness Centers and over 20 community sites.
The program consists of 16 weekly one-hour classroom sessions with monthly follow-up sessions for the remainder of the year.
To qualify, you must be 18 years of age or older and have a:
- Prediabetic blood value
- Diagnosis of prediabetes or
- High score on a CDC diabetes risk assessment
PRE-Registration is required. The YMCA's Diabetes Prevention Program is offered year-round in 7 counties in the Metro Denver Area, including our 5 local YMCA's, over 20 community sItes and other worksites.
FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE IS AVAILABLE along with payment plans!
We provide our program in 7 Counties in the Metro Denver Area, including the 5 local YMCA’s, Worksites, and over 20 Community Sites.
- Littleton Family YMCA (11 W Dry Creek Ct, Littleton, 80120) - Monday, January 28, 2019 from 6 pm - 7 pm.
- Metro Caring (1100 E 18th Ave., Denver 80203) - Monday, January 28, 2019 from 11 am - 12 pm.
- Swim and Fitness Center (3290 W 76 Ave., Westminster, 80030) - Thursday, February 6, 2019 from 6 pm - 7 pm. *SPANISH CLASS
- Susan M. Duncan Family YMCA (6350 Eldridge St., Arvada) - Tuesday February 12, 2019 from 10 am - 11 am.
- Windsor Gardens (595 S Clinton Street, Denver 80247) - Tuesday, April 16, 2019 from 11 - 12 pm.
- Heather Gardens (2888 S Heather Gardens, Aurora 80014) - Wednesday, May 8 2019 from 12 - 1 pm.