Prevent Diabetes with the YMCA
More than 84 million adults in the US have prediabetes - that’s 1 out of every 3 Americans!
Yet, 9 out of 10 people don't even know they have it. The YMCA can help.
The YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program is part of the CDC-led National Diabetes Prevention Program, which has proven that through healthier eating, increased physical activity, and a small amount of weight loss, it’s possible to prevent or delay the onset of Type 2 Diabetes by 58-71%.
Through this Y program, participants meet regularly with a certified lifestyle coach to learn about:
- Physical activity
- Overcoming stress
- Staying motivated
Together, they get the resources and support they need to meet program goals:
- Decrease body weight by 7%
- Increase physical activity to 150 minutes per week
- Improve wellness and reduce diabetes risk
Take action now to transform your health
The YMCA's Diabetes Prevention Program is offered year-round in seven counties in Metro Denver, including the five YMCA Wellness Centers and over 20 community sites.
The program consists of 16 weekly one-hour classroom sessions with monthly follow-up sessions for the remainder of the year.
To qualify, you must be 18 years of age or older and have a:
- Prediabetic blood value
- Diagnosis of prediabetes or
- High score on a CDC diabetes risk assessment
PRE-Registration is required. The YMCA's Diabetes Prevention Program is offered year-round in 7 counties in the Metro Denver Area, including our 5 local YMCA's, over 20 community sItes and other worksites.
FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE IS AVAILABLE along with payment plans!
We provide our program in 7 Counties in the Metro Denver Area, including the 5 local YMCA’s, Worksites, and over 20 Community Sites.
PLEASE NOTE: As a precaution to keep our community safe, all Diabetes Prevention Program sessions scheduled for March 16 - 27 are cancelled. YMCA staff will be contacting all current participants with updated information and plans for sessions scheduled after March 27. Thank you for your understanding. Learn more about Staying Safe Through Coronavirus (COVID-19).
- Susan M. Duncan YMCA | 6350 Eldridge St, Arvada, CO, 80004 (Dates coming soon!)
- Metro Caring | 1100 E 18th Ave, Denver, CO, 80218; Monday (Dates coming soon!)
- Crossroads Church | 53 E 128th Ave, Thornton, CO 80241; Session starts in April on Thursdays from 6:00 to 7:00 pm (Start date coming soon!)
- Salvation Army of Aurora | 802 Quari Ct, Aurora, CO 80011; Session 1 starts in March on Tuesdays from 11:00 am to 12:00 pm; Session 2 starts in March on Tuesdays from 6:00 to 7:00 pm