Understand your risk for prediabetes and type 2 diabetes and prevention
An estimated 79 million American adults ages 20 and over have prediabetes and many of them do not know it! The good news is that studies have shown that some people with prediabetes who lose weight and increase their physical activity can prevent or delay type 2 diabetes and even see their blood glucose levels return to normal.
The YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program is part of the CDC-led National Diabetes Prevention Program, which proves that through healthier eating, increased physical activity, and a small amount of weight loss, a person with pre-diabetes can prevent or delay the onset of Type 2 Diabetes by 58%.
In a classroom setting, a trained lifestyle coach will help you find ways to make lifestyle changes by learning about healthy eating, physical activity and other behavior changes over the course of 16 one-hour sessions. Topics covered include nutrition, getting started with physical activity, overcoming stress, staying motivated, and more. After the initial 16 weekly sessions, you will meet monthly for the remainder of the year for help with maintaining your progress.
Program Goals: Reduce body weight by 7 % and increase physical activity to 150 minutes per week.
In order to qualify for the YMCA Diabetes Prevention Program, participants must be at least 18 years old, overweight (BMI of 25 or higher) and at high risk of developing type 2 diabetes or have been diagnosed with prediabetes.
PRE-Registration is required. The YMCA's Diabetes Prevention Program is offered year-round in 7 counties in the Metro Denver Area, including our 5 local YMCA's, over 20 community sItes and other worksites.
To find a class near you, or to learn if your health insurance will cover the cost of the program, please contact Caitlin Stackpool at email@example.com or 720 390 9459 or Tammy Dickerson at firstname.lastname@example.org or 720 460 6383.
FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE IS AVAILABLE along with payment plans!
We provide our program in 7 Counties in the Metro Denver Area, including the 5 local YMCA’s, Worksites, and over 20 Community Sites.
- Littleton Family YMCA (11 W Dry Creek Ct, Littleton, 80120) - Monday, January 28, 2019 from 6 pm - 7 pm.
- Metro Caring (1100 E 18th Ave., Denver 80203) - Monday, January 28, 2019 from 11 am - 12 pm.
- Swim and Fitness Center (3290 W 76 Ave., Westminster, 80030) - Thursday, February 6, 2019 from 6 pm - 7 pm. *SPANISH CLASS
- Susan M. Duncan Family YMCA (6350 Eldridge St., Arvada) - Tuesday February 12, 2019 from 10 am - 11 am.
- Windsor Gardens (595 S Clinton Street, Denver 80247) - Tuesday, April 16, 2019 from 11 - 12 pm.
- Heather Gardens (2888 S Heather Gardens, Aurora 80014) - Wednesday, May 8 2019 from 12 - 1 pm.