Prevent Diabetes with the YMCA
More than 84 million adults in the US have prediabetes - that’s 1 out of every 3 Americans!
Yet, 9 out of 10 people don't even know they have it. The YMCA can help.
The YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program is part of the CDC-led National Diabetes Prevention Program, which has proven that through healthier eating, increased physical activity, and a small amount of weight loss, it’s possible to prevent or delay the onset of Type 2 Diabetes by 58-71%.
Through this Y program, participants meet regularly with a certified lifestyle coach to learn about:
- Physical activity
- Overcoming stress
- Staying motivated
Together, they get the resources and support they need to meet program goals:
- Decrease body weight by 7%
- Increase physical activity to 150 minutes per week
- Improve wellness and reduce diabetes risk
Take action now to transform your health
The YMCA's Diabetes Prevention Program is offered year-round in seven counties in Metro Denver, including the five YMCA Wellness Centers and over 20 community sites.
The program consists of 16 weekly one-hour classroom sessions with monthly follow-up sessions for the remainder of the year.
To qualify, you must be 18 years of age or older and have a:
- Prediabetic blood value
- Diagnosis of prediabetes or
- High score on a CDC diabetes risk assessment
PRE-Registration is required. The YMCA's Diabetes Prevention Program is offered year-round in 7 counties in the Metro Denver Area, including our 5 local YMCA's, over 20 community sItes and other worksites.
FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE IS AVAILABLE along with payment plans!
We provide our program in 7 Counties in the Metro Denver Area, including the 5 local YMCA’s, Worksites, and over 20 Community Sites.
- Susan M. Duncan YMCA | 6350 Eldridge St, Arvada, CO, 80004 (Dates coming soon!)
- Arvada Covenant Church | 5555 Ward Rd, Arvada, CO, 80002 Information Session on March 2nd from 11:00 am - 12:00 pm
- Metro Caring | 1100 E 18th Ave, Denver, CO, 80218 Monday: February 24, 2020 11:00 am - 12:00 pm
- Johnson Elementary | 1850 S Irving St, Denver, CO, 80219 Information Session on March 3rd from 5:30 to 6:30 pm
- Crossroads Church | 53 E 128th Ave, Thornton, CO 80241 Thursday: February 20, 2020 from 5:30 - 6:30 pm
- Downtown Denver YMCA | 25 E 16th Ave, Unit B, Denver CO, 80202 Monday: February 24, 2020 5:15 - 6:15 pm
- Salvation Army of Aurora | 802 Quari Ct, Aurora, CO 80011 (Dates coming soon!)