Prevent Diabetes with the YMCA
More than 84 million adults in the US have prediabetes - that’s 1 out of every 3 Americans!
Yet, 9 out of 10 people don't even know they have it.
The YMCA can help.
The YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program is part of the CDC-led National Diabetes Prevention Program, which has proven that through healthier eating, increased physical activity, and a small amount of weight loss, it’s possible to prevent or delay the onset of Type 2 Diabetes by 58-71%.
Through this Y program, participants meet regularly with a certified lifestyle coach to learn about:
- Physical activity
- Overcoming stress
- Staying motivated
Together, they get the resources and support they need to meet program goals:
- Decrease body weight by 7%
- Increase physical activity to 150 minutes per week
- Improve wellness and reduce diabetes risk
Take action now to transform your health
The YMCA's Diabetes Prevention Program is offered year-round in seven counties in Metro Denver, including the five YMCA Wellness Centers and over 20 community sites.
The program consists of 16 weekly one-hour classroom sessions with monthly follow-up sessions for the remainder of the year.
To qualify, you must be 18 years of age or older and have a:
- Prediabetic blood value
- Diagnosis of prediabetes or
- High score on a CDC diabetes risk assessment
PRE-Registration is required. The YMCA's Diabetes Prevention Program is offered year-round in 7 counties in the Metro Denver Area, including our 5 local YMCA's, over 20 community sItes and other worksites.
FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE IS AVAILABLE along with payment plans!
We provide our program in 7 Counties in the Metro Denver Area, including the 5 local YMCA’s, Worksites, and over 20 Community Sites.
- Duncan YMCA (6350 Eldridge St, Arvada, CO 80004) starting Thursday, August 29, 6:30-7:30 pm. Information Session will take place Thursday, August 22, 6:30-7:30 pm
- Duncan YMCA (6350 Elridge St, Arvada, CO 80004) starting Wednesday, September 25, 11:00 am-12:00 pm. Information Session will take place Wednesday, September 18, 6:30-7:30 pm
- Littleton YMCA (11 W Dry Creek Ct, Littleton, CO 80120) starting in August (AM) and September (PM).
- Southwest YMCA (5181 W Kenyon Ave, Denver, CO 80236) starting Tuesday, September 3, 6:00-7:00 pm *This class will be led in Spanish*. Information Session will take place Tuesday, August 27, 6:30-7:30 pm
- Downtown YMCA (25 E 16th Ave B, Denver, CO 80202) starting Tuesday, August 27, 5:30-6:30 pm. Information Session will take place Tuesday, August 6, 5:30-6:30 pm
- Schlessman YMCA (3901 E Yale Ave, Denver, CO 80210) starting Tuesday September 24, 11:00 am-12:00 pm. Information Session will take place Tuesday, September 10, 11:00 am-12:00 pm
- Schlessman YMCA (3901 E Yale Ave, Denver, CO 80210) starting Wednesday, October 23, 6:00-7:00 pm. Information Session will take place Wednesday, October 9, 6:00-7:00 pm
- Lakewood Library (10200 W 20th Ave, Lakewood, CO 80215) starting Monday, August 19, 6:00-7:00 pm. Information Session will take place Monday, August 12, 6:00-7:00 pm