Colorado Teens: Speak Up and Stand Out
The YMCA’s Youth in Government Program gives students first-hand knowledge of how government works.
For three days every year, students learn about the state’s democratic system, and how laws and government shape people’s lives. They explore all major aspects of state government, filling roles as politicians, lobbyists, attorneys, and journalists.
Then they convene for a mock General Assembly at the State Capitol where they write bills, lobby, debate, and vote, all using the real House Floor, Senate Chambers, and committee rooms in the state capitol. This is the only program of its kind that offers this type of experience and access to Colorado’s legislative offices.
November 24-27, 2019 at the Colorado State Capitol in Denver
- Dealine: November 8, 2019
Final bills due: November 1, 2019 at 11:59 pm (Bills submitted after the deadline will not be added to the bill book)
Training and Other Events
- Officer and Committee Chair Online Training: TBA
- Pre-Legislative Session: November 24, 2019 at 6 pm. This is highly encouraged for new delegates as well as those returning. Youth do not need to be staying in the hotel to join the Pre-leg session, but it is also encouraged for participants to stay near the Capitol.
- Youth Officers' Reception: TBD. This event is an opportunity for our elected officers to meet donors and board members as well as other special guests. Invite only, RSVP required.
- Governor's Ball: TBD. Enjoy great food, hear your candidate speeches and dance with new friends! You will not want to miss this one! RSVP required: Dinner is included. Officer Candidates are required to attend.
- Hotel Stay: November 24 - 26, 2019
- Hotel fee (per person): TBD. Information on the YMCA hotel block will be updated as we finalize details. Schools should seriously consider bringing their group to stay. Scholarships for hotels are also available.
YMCA membership not required. Scholarships are available for schools and students who qualify. Students must be in 7th through 12th grade. To learn about YMCA Scholarships please contact Amy Louvier at 720 274 5759.
Learn more here:
For more information, contact:
6155 S. Main St #220
Aurora, CO 80016
Phone: 720 274 5759